For those looking to get the most out of a classic comfort-food dish, you can’t do much better than a homemade sloppy joe. Taking just minutes to assemble, it easily pays for itself in terms of flavor and satisfaction. With perfectly seasoned beef simmered in tangy tomato sauce and served on warm buns with melted cheese – there’s no denying that old-fashioned sloppy joes are simply delicious. In this blog post, we’ll provide you with an easy-to-follow old fashioned Sloppy Joes recipe so that you can enjoy the ultimate version from the comfort of your home!
- 1 What Is Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes?
- 2 Why You Will Love This Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe?
- 3 What You Will Need For This Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe?
- 4 Instructions For Making Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 5 Tips To Make Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Even Better
- 6 What To Serve With Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes?
- 7 Substitutes For Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes
- 8 How To Store Leftover Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes?
- 9 Conclusion: Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 10 FAQ: Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 10.1 What is the Sloppy Joe sauce made of?
- 10.2 What’s the difference between a sloppy joe and a sloppy Jane?
- 10.3 What are the best toppings for Sloppy Joes?
- 10.4 What are Sloppy Joes called in England?
- 10.5 What can I use instead of Worcestershire sauce in Sloppy Joes?
- 10.6 What is Sloppy Joe sauce called?
- 10.7 What do Australians call Sloppy Joes?
- 10.8 What do you serve with Sloppy Joes?
- 10.9 How do you upgrade Sloppy Joes?
- 10.10 What will thicken Sloppy Joes?
- 10.11 What is the best bun for Sloppy Joes?
- 10.12 Is sloppy joe the same as Bolognese?
- 10.13 What does sloppy joe sauce taste like?
- 10.14 Is sloppy joe just chili?
- 10.15 Is Sloppy Joe good for you?
What Is Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes?
Old-fashioned sloppy joes are an old-school American sandwich that dates back to the 1930s. It’s made with seasoned ground beef simmered in a tomato-based sauce, served on soft hamburger buns, and topped with melted cheese. The classic version of this dish is usually spiced up with Worcestershire sauce or BBQ sauce, making it an incredibly flavorful and comforting meal that’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
Why You Will Love This Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe?
This old-fashioned sloppy joes recipe is perfect for busy weeknights, as it only takes a few minutes to put together. Plus, it’s an incredibly budget-friendly meal as ground beef is usually quite economical. The flavors blend perfectly, creating a wonderfully comforting dish that the whole family will enjoy.
What You Will Need For This Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe?
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted
Instructions For Making Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until it is browned and crumbled.
- Add the onion and garlic, cooking until they are soft and fragrant.
- Pour in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper; stir to combine.
- Let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until it has reached your desired thickness.
- Serve the sloppy joes on warm hamburger buns and top with melted cheese, if desired.
There you have it – old-fashioned sloppy joes that will tantalize your taste buds! Perfect for feeding a crowd or just yourself, this dish is sure to be a hit no matter what the occasion.
Watch this video to know how to make old fashioned Sloppy Joes recipe.
Tips To Make Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Even Better
- Feel free to add extra seasonings, like hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne pepper, to give the sloppy joes an extra kick!
- If you’re cooking for vegetarians or have dietary restrictions, consider using lentils or beans as a substitute for ground beef.
- Try adding some diced bell peppers to the mix for a tasty crunch.
- For an even heartier meal, top your sloppy joes off with some extra cheese and serve them over mashed potatoes!
What To Serve With Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes?
Old-fashioned sloppy joes go great with a variety of side dishes, from fries and potato chips to coleslaw or grilled vegetables. You can also enjoy them alongside a cold beer or soda for the perfect weeknight dinner.
It’s an easy – yet incredibly flavorful – meal that’s sure to please even the pickiest eaters. Be sure to share it with your family and friends – they’ll love it just as much as you do!
Substitutes For Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes
- Ground turkey or chicken can be used instead of ground beef for a leaner version.
- If you don’t have ketchup, you can use tomato sauce or even BBQ sauce as a substitute.
- Try adding some Worcestershire sauce to give the sloppy joes an extra depth of flavor.
- If you don’t have brown sugar, you can substitute it with honey or white sugar.
- For a vegan/vegetarian version of old-fashioned sloppy joes, use lentils or beans instead of ground beef.
- If you want to spice up the dish, add some diced jalapeños or cayenne pepper for an added kick.
- Use any type of bun that you like – from traditional hamburger buns to sourdough or ciabatta.
With just a few simple ingredients, old-fashioned sloppy joes can be transformed into a delicious meal in no time! Whether you’re feeding the family on a busy weeknight or hosting a backyard barbecue, this dish is sure to be a hit.
How To Store Leftover Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes?
Leftover old-fashioned sloppy joes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, simply pop them in the microwave or stovetop until warmed through.
Conclusion: Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe
Old fashioned sloppy joes recipe is an old-school American classic recipe that’s sure to please the whole family. It only takes a few minutes to make, and it’s incredibly budget-friendly. Plus, you can customize this dish with whatever seasonings or toppings you desire! Serve up this old-fashioned recipe with fries, chips, vegetables – or all of the above – and you have an easy, delicious dinner that will satisfy everyone. Thanks for reading at mollysmtview!
FAQ: Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe
What is the Sloppy Joe sauce made of?
Transform a classic American favorite with the perfect Sloppy Joe sauce. Combine ketchup, water, brown sugar, mustard chili powder, and Worcestershire for an unbeatable taste sensation. Spice up your sandwich by adding red pepper flakes or black pepper to season then cook over medium heat until it reaches your desired thickness. Serve warm on freshly-toasted buns and enjoy!
What’s the difference between a sloppy joe and a sloppy Jane?
Let the battle of the Sloppy Sandwiches begin: The beefy, traditional Sloppy Joe versus its leaner counterpart —the turkey-laden Sloppy Jane! While both are delicious interpretations of a classic sandwich, one is characterized by savory ground beef while the other opts for more health-conscious and flavorful options with its use of ground turkey. Which will come out victorious? That choice rests in your hands (or mouth)!
What are the best toppings for Sloppy Joes?
Give your Sloppy Joes an extra kick with the perfect topping combination! Pickle slices, coleslaw, and bacon strips create a fun flavor balance while red onion adds crunch. A thick tomato slice gives texture contrast to melted cheese, BBQ sauce provides tangy sweetness, and sour cream or even a fried egg can take it over the top for those looking for something daringly delicious.
What are Sloppy Joes called in England?
Across the pond, drool-inducing Sloppy Joes go by a variety of fun monikers – Manwich, Yum Yums, and Dynamite just to name a few. Although all distinctive in flavor, Manwich is arguably Britain’s favorite sloppy sandwich!
What can I use instead of Worcestershire sauce in Sloppy Joes?
If you’re looking for a great Worcestershire sauce substitute, look no further. From the classic flavor of soy sauce to more exotic mixtures like miso paste and hot sauces, there are plenty of alternatives that can add zest to your meals!
What is Sloppy Joe sauce called?
Manwich is the deliciously tangy name behind a classic Sloppy Joe sauce. Enjoy its unique flavor on sandwiches, burgers, and more!
What do Australians call Sloppy Joes?
In the USA, a beloved comfort food known as Sloppy Joes is referred to Down Under by another name – cozy and familiar to many of us; Sweatshirt!
What do you serve with Sloppy Joes?
Take your Sloppy Joe experience to the next level with these accompaniments! Baked Beans, Potato Chips, Tater Tots and Mac & Cheese are all classic pairings that you can’t go wrong with. If you’re feeling adventurous try Sweet Potato Hash or Dill Pickles for a unique twist. Finish off your meal in style by adding some Potato Salad or Macaroni Salad – it’s sure to delight every palate!
How do you upgrade Sloppy Joes?
Upgrade your Sloppy Joe with a cheesy twist! Sprinkle on some cheese or try adding Worcestershire sauce, onion powder and chili powder for an extra delicious kick. Whatever you do, it’s sure to make this classic sandwich even more flavorful than before.
What will thicken Sloppy Joes?
For a Professional twist on the classic Sloppy Joe, try thickening up your mix with cornstarch or flour. Simply combine the starch of your choice with water to create an added layer of depth and flavor – just add slowly while simmering for optimal thickness!
What is the best bun for Sloppy Joes?
Sloppy Joes are a classic; the key is to choose buns that won’t grow soggy under pressure. For maximum satisfaction, we recommend hamburger or brioche buns – their sturdy texture can stand up to messy ingredients while still boasting great flavor!
Is sloppy joe the same as Bolognese?
Sloppy Joe and Bolognese may be different sauces but they have more in common than you think! They’re both made up of the same basic ingredients, with a Sloppy Joe having its own unique twist – like BBQ sauce. The difference? A classic Sloppy Joe is cooked down until it’s thick and not saucy at all.
What does sloppy joe sauce taste like?
Sloppy Joes tantalize the taste buds with a smooth, tomatoey texture that is balanced out by its sweet and tangy ketchup flavor. A truly delightful combination!
Is sloppy joe just chili?
Sloppy joes and chili may look similar, but the two dishes have distinct differences that make them unique. Each meal offers a savory blend of seasoned ground beef in a tomato sauce – with sloppy joes served as sandwiches, while chili acts more like soup.
Is Sloppy Joe good for you?
Sloppy joes may offer nutritional benefits from its main ingredient, ground beef. It is a good source of protein and vitamins B-6 and B-12 as well as some minerals like iron, phosphorus, selenium, and zinc. However, it should be enjoyed in moderation due to the high-calorie count associated with red meat which can lead to weight gain if consumed excessively.
Bobby Kelly is a bartender at Molly Magees, an Irish pub in Mountain View. He’s been working there for two years and has developed a following among the regulars. Bobby is known for his friendly demeanor and great drink specials. He loves interacting with customers and making them feel welcome. When he’s not at work, Bobby enjoys spending time with his friends and family.