Beef short ribs are considered one of the most flavorful cuts of beef, but they can be tough if not cooked properly. Crockpots are a great tool to use when cooking short ribs because they impart a tender, slow-cooked flavor that is irresistible. In this blog post, we will show you step-by-step how to cook beef short ribs in crockpot, ensuring that the meat is juicy, tender, and packed with flavor.
- 1 What Are Beef Short Ribs?
- 2 What Is A Crock Pot?
- 3 Ingredients Needed To Cook Beef Short Ribs In Crock Pot
- 4 How To Cook Beef Short Ribs In Crock Pot?
- 5 How To Make The Drippings Of Cooked Beef Short Ribs Into Sauce?
- 6 Should I Use Bone In Short Ribs Or Boneless Short Ribs?
- 7 Tips To Cook Beef Short Ribs In Crock Pot
- 8 What To Serve With Beef Short Ribs In Crock Pot?
- 9 How To Store Leftover Beef Short Ribs?
- 10 Crock Pot Beef Short Ribs Recipes
- 11 Conclusion: How To Cook Beef Short Ribs In Crock Pot?
- 12 FAQ: Cook Beef Short Ribs
- 12.1 Are ribs better in oven or crock pot?
- 12.2 Should ribs be covered in liquid in slow cooker?
- 12.3 Why are my short ribs not tender in slow cooker?
- 12.4 Do short ribs get more tender the longer you cook them?
- 12.5 Do you cook ribs in a slow cooker covered or uncovered?
- 12.6 Why are my ribs still tough in crock pot?
- 12.7 Should I salt short ribs before cooking?
- 12.8 How long does it take beef short ribs to get tender?
- 12.9 Should I soak short ribs before cooking?
- 12.10 How do you know when short ribs are done?
- 12.11 How do you make short ribs not chewy?
- 12.12 Why do beef short ribs take so long to cook?
What Are Beef Short Ribs?
Beef short ribs are a cut of beef that come from the lower chest section of the cow. They have a rich, succulent flavor and are well-marbled with fat. The meat is tough but becomes incredibly tender when cooked in a crock pot for an extended period of time.
What Is A Crock Pot?
A crock pot, otherwise known as a slow cooker, is an electric kitchen appliance used for cooking food at low temperatures over long periods of time. Crockpots are great tools to use when making dishes like soups, stews, and beef short ribs because they infuse the meat with flavor while gently simmering it in its own juices.
Ingredients Needed To Cook Beef Short Ribs In Crock Pot
– 2 pounds of beef short ribs
– 1 small onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 cup beef broth
– 1/2 teaspoon paprika
– Salt and pepper to taste
How To Cook Beef Short Ribs In Crock Pot?
Step 1: Prepare the Short Ribs
Before you start cooking, make sure your short ribs are prepped for the crockpot. You want to ensure that you remove any excess fat and silver skin from the ribs. This helps to prevent them from becoming oily or chewy during the cooking process. Once you’ve removed the excess fat, season the beef generously with salt and pepper, or any other rub you prefer.
Step 2: Sear the Short Ribs
Searing the ribs is an important step to get that caramelized crust, which packs in flavors. Preheat a large skillet, add a tablespoon of oil, and sear each side of the short ribs until they are lightly browned. This will also seal in the juices and prevent the meat from becoming dry. Once done, transfer the short ribs to the crockpot.
Step 3: Prepare the Vegetables
Vegetables like onions, carrots, and celery add depth to the dish and complement the richness of the beef. You could also add potatoes or sweet potatoes for a more filling meal. Chop the vegetables into large chunks and arrange them around the short ribs in the crockpot.
Step 4: Add the Liquid
Beef short ribs require a braising liquid to cook properly. Adding a flavorful liquid to the crockpot is essential to create a juicy and tender beef that falls off the bone. Typically, beef broth or red wine are good options for braising. Add enough liquid to come up to the halfway point of the crockpot, and then cover the lid.
Step 5: Cook the Short Ribs
Cook the short ribs on low heat for 6 to 8 hours. This slow cooking process allows the meat to become fall-off-the-bone tender, giving you plenty of time to relax and enjoy your day. Once done, remove the meat and vegetables from the crockpot and reserve the cooking liquid. Skim any excess oil, puree the vegetables and the braising liquid, and reduce it over high heat to create a rich sauce for the meat.
Watch this video to know how to cook beef short ribs in crock pot.
How To Make The Drippings Of Cooked Beef Short Ribs Into Sauce?
After you’ve cooked the short ribs in the crockpot, reserve the cooking liquid and skim off any excess oil. Puree the vegetables and braising liquid together until it forms a thick sauce. To give it more flavor, add a splash of red wine or balsamic vinegar. Simmer the sauce for about 10 minutes over medium heat until it reduces and thickens. Serve this delicious sauce with the cooked short ribs for a tasty meal.
Should I Use Bone In Short Ribs Or Boneless Short Ribs?
Bone-in short ribs are ideal for slow cooking in a crockpot because the bones impart flavor and help keep the meat tender and juicy. Boneless short ribs will also work well, but they may be more prone to drying out during the cooking process.
Tips To Cook Beef Short Ribs In Crock Pot
– Make sure to remove any excess fat and silver skin from the ribs before cooking.
– Sear the short ribs in a hot skillet to get that caramelized crust which locks in the juices and flavors.
– Use flavorful liquids like beef broth or red wine when braising the short ribs.
– Cook the ribs on low heat for 6 to 8 hours, or until the meat is fall-off-the-bone tender.
– Skim any excess oil from the braising liquid and reduce it over high heat to make a delicious sauce for the ribs.
Cooking beef short ribs in a crockpot offers maximum convenience and flavor with minimal effort. The slow cooking process allows the meat to become incredibly tender while infusing it with rich, complex flavors. With just a few simple ingredients and steps, you can enjoy restaurant-quality beef short ribs in no time.
What To Serve With Beef Short Ribs In Crock Pot?
Beef short ribs pair well with a variety of side dishes, including mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, and creamy polenta. You could also serve it over a bed of noodles or rice for an extra hearty meal. For an added touch of flavor, top the dish off with fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro.
How To Store Leftover Beef Short Ribs?
If you have any leftover beef short ribs, store them in an airtight container and place them in the refrigerator. The cooked meat will keep for up to 4 days before it starts to spoil. To reheat, simply place the ribs in a pot of simmering water until they are warmed through. For optimal flavor, try adding some stock or sauce to the pot before reheating.
The rich and tender flavors of beef short ribs make it a delicious dish worth trying out. With this guide, you can easily prepare restaurant-quality beef short ribs in your crockpot with minimal effort.
Crock Pot Beef Short Ribs Recipes
– Korean-Style Beef Short Ribs – Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger for a flavorful marinade. Cover the short ribs with the marinade and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours.
– Red Wine Braised Short Ribs – Sear the short ribs in a hot skillet and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the ribs in a crockpot with red wine, beef stock, onions, and garlic. Cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours until the meat is tender.
– Asian Short Ribs – Marinate the short ribs in an Asian-style sauce made with soy sauce, honey, garlic, and ginger. Place the ribs in a crockpot with the marinade and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours. Serve over jasmine rice for a delicious meal.
– BBQ Short Ribs – Mix together ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and chili powder for a flavorful BBQ sauce. Cover the ribs with the sauce and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice for an extra hearty dish.
No matter which recipe you choose, cooking beef short ribs in a crockpot is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. With minimal effort, you can achieve tender and delicious results.
Conclusion: How To Cook Beef Short Ribs In Crock Pot?
And that’s it – a step-by-step guide of how to cook beef short ribs in crock pot. Using this method, you’ll be sure to get juicy, tender short ribs that will impress your dinner guests. Remember to start with good quality beef, sear the meat before putting it into the crockpot, and add lots of vegetables and liquid to create a rich, flavorful sauce. Try making this recipe at home today and enjoy the delicious taste of slow-cooked beef. Thanks for reading at.
FAQ: Cook Beef Short Ribs
Are ribs better in oven or crock pot?
Out of all the delicious rib options, the slow cooker delivered the most tender meat. The baked ribs were a close second, with succulent meat that fell off the bone, but still lacking in tenderness compared to the slow cooker method.
Should ribs be covered in liquid in slow cooker?
While it’s true that ribs need some liquid in the slow cooker to help them cook evenly and prevent them from drying out, they don’t need to be fully submerged. In fact, a small amount of liquid (such as broth or barbecue sauce) can help to infuse the ribs with additional flavor.
Why are my short ribs not tender in slow cooker?
Have your short ribs come out tough after cooking in the crockpot for 7-8 hours? Don’t panic. Before assuming they’re overcooked, take a deep breath and continue cooking them on low heat for another 30 minutes to an hour. Soon enough, they’ll reach the perfect level of tenderness and flavor.
Do short ribs get more tender the longer you cook them?
When cooking short ribs, extended cooking times result in tender, fall-apart meat that melts in your mouth. However, be careful not to overcook them, as it can compromise their rich, savory taste. With these tips, you’ll achieve a perfect balance between tenderness and flavor every time.
Do you cook ribs in a slow cooker covered or uncovered?
Covered or uncovered? Some people prefer to wrap their ribs in foil to keep them moist, but it’s not necessary. If you notice your meat is drying out or browning too quickly, covering it with foil can help during the remaining cook time.
Why are my ribs still tough in crock pot?
If you’re wondering why your dish doesn’t have that melt-in-your-mouth texture, it might be because you haven’t let the collagen break down. Don’t worry, simply extend the cook time, make sure there’s enough liquid and keep an eye on the dish to ensure it turns out perfectly.
Should I salt short ribs before cooking?
For maximum flavor, season your ribs generously with salt and pepper before searing them. Make sure you can see a white film of salt over the meat to ensure it’s seasoned well. Don’t hold back on the seasoning – your taste buds will thank you.
How long does it take beef short ribs to get tender?
Cook your ribs and vegetables in a slow cooker for 5-8 hours on low heat until the meat is tender. Alternatively, you can cook them on high for 4-5 hours, but low heat is recommended. Once done, move the ribs and vegetables to a serving dish and cover with foil to rest and keep warm.
Should I soak short ribs before cooking?
For the tastiest short ribs, you have two great seasoning options: soak them in a salt brine overnight or lovingly rub salt into the fibers and pockets of your short ribs before braising. With regards to health, we suggest choosing Celtic Gray Sea Salt. However, regardless of which seasoning option you choose, make sure to set the meat out for a few hours before cooking so it can reach room temperature. By following these simple steps, you’ll be able to achieve perfectly seasoned and prepared short ribs every time.
How do you know when short ribs are done?
To check if your ribs are cooked to perfection, simply insert a toothpick or small BBQ skewer between 2 bones. If the meat is done, the skewer will slide through effortlessly, indicating that your ribs are perfectly cooked.
How do you make short ribs not chewy?
Braising is the ideal cooking technique for short ribs, requiring long, slow cooking for tender and flavorful results. This method involves slow simmering after browning the meat in oil or butter, producing irresistibly tender and bold flavors in this beefy cut.
Why do beef short ribs take so long to cook?
Experience melt-in-your-mouth tenderness with our beef short ribs. Our meaty and marbled ribs require slow cooking to reach the pinnacle of flavor.
Bobby Kelly is a bartender at Molly Magees, an Irish pub in Mountain View. He’s been working there for two years and has developed a following among the regulars. Bobby is known for his friendly demeanor and great drink specials. He loves interacting with customers and making them feel welcome. When he’s not at work, Bobby enjoys spending time with his friends and family.